Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Belated Bloom Day Orchid Show

Re-Blooming Butterfly Orchid #1

I'm so happy.

Re-Blooming Butterfly Orchid #2
Like sliding across the kitchen floor in my stocking feet happy.

Re-Blooming Butterfly Orchids #3, 4 & 5!!!
The sun is shining. The snow is melting. Could it be? Could it be?

Is it finally springtime? Garden time? Playing in the mud time? I certainly hope so. Because I'm so over winter it's not even funny.

My Christmas Cactus is still hard at it.
Could kick myself for being so absent-minded. Completely forgot about Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. (Held on the 15th of each month.)

Kalanchoes
And, I was soooo looking forward to showing off the Orchids. They look pretty enough to be store bought beauties. But, I assure you they are not. These are all re-bloomers.

I almost always have one Orchid in bloom. But, this year they took pity on me and my cabin fever. All of my girls decided to flower at the exact same time.

Say a cheer for springtime...  Here's today's moment of Zen:

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

All of your blooms are pretty. My DB was bitten by the orchid bug. We now have 3 sitting on the coffee table. They are fun. I will be surprised if they ever rebloom. We will have to wait and see. Happy GBBD anyway. I was late to the show too.

Deb in Kamas said...

Yes it is (finally) officially Spring in Kamas - no blooms other than the antique geraniums, but I heard the sandhill cranes trumpeting last Sunday! I can only imagine the translation, since it was in the middle of the snowstorm.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hey, Lisa!
Oh, I bet they'll re-bloom. Try this trick. Soak them in highly diluted fertilizer for 30 minutes, once a week. (I use 1 tbsp. fertilizer in as much water as fills my kitchen sink.) The poor things are hopped up on drugs 24/7 but they flower like crazy! :D

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Deb!
Somewhere between your house and my house that geranium cutting disappeared. And, I'm kicking myself because it was such a luscious color!

Melospiza said...

Every time you post photos of your orchids I think: *I* need to get myself some orchids. One of these winters! Now I'm too excited for spring and the outdoor flowers.

HolleyGarden said...

How nice that they conspired to lift your spirits by blooming together. How I love orchids, and how they hate me! :) Yours are just gorgeous.

Janie said...

The orchids are beautiful!
How exciting, to go shopping in NYC. Your daughter is a lucky peanut.

Marguerite said...

The geese calling as they zoom on home is definitely a sight for sore eyes and ears. I've seen several groups in the last week and its brought a smile to my face. What's your trick getting those orchids to rebloom, do you feed them?

Marguerite said...

and as I hit publish I saw your comments about fertilizer above....

Carly said...

So gorgeous! I know my rebloomer is making my day, everyday, for weeks now.

I'm so glad spring is here. Down in the valley it has been warm, flowers are starting to bloom and I even got a sun burn working in my Mom's flower beds. You're spring can't be far behind!