Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cowgirl Dreams

In 2 short weeks we'll be riding our happy horses through the Arizona backcountry.
Ah, 'twas a glorious day. Up at dawn, working like a little fiend on the kinds of freelance projects that I truly love.

Promptly at one, I scooted outta that office, embarking on a premeditated playing hooky kind of afternoon.

Coda
It's farrier day ~ new shoes for both horses.

In two short weeks, we're off to Arizona, on our first trail ride of the season! The horsies are as restless as I am. Wild enough that I solicited help from a friend to calm them down.

Thunder
 Still sporting thick winter coats, caked with layers of mud. (No need to photograph that mess!) In desperate need of a bath, though I doubt the weather will warm enough for me to make that happen.

And, that's okay. We'll go ugly. Just as long as we get to go.

I am sooooo excited for this escape to Arizona. 
Where it's summer! And, with any luck the cactus will be blooming!

Hey! A real live cowboy! Yet another fine reason to do these trail rides. :)
They haven't tried on their saddles in 6 long winter months. They're spooky and spirited with energy to burn. I've got my work cut out for me.... but this horse shoe day is a fun first step. Because it forces them to stand still. For nearly an hour while my kindly, old farrier trims up their tootsies and gets us ready for a new riding season.


I sometimes wonder what they're daydreaming about ~ while he's scraping and filing and messing with their feet.


Larry & Me
Perhaps they're doing the same thing I am...  

Remembering all the fun we had last year and hoping for a deliciously early spring. 


Follow Me on Pinterest




5 comments:

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Jealous.

Bonnie K said...

I so wish I could go with you. I would love to have horses again, but our winters have so much snow and are so long. I wish you a wonderful and safe trail riding season.

Rilly said...

That last photo reminds me of some of the streams in Idaho where my mom used to take us so she could fish and still keep an eye on us kids. If it wasn't a fishing hole it was a huckleberry patch.

Jan said...

Sounds wonderful, Kate! I know you will enjoy every moment!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

You're close, Rilly. That photo was taken in the Yellowstone area. :))