Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lavender Cookies and Other Purple Passions

"You can never have enough purple in the garden." - Grandma Anne
Critters outsmart me, gobbling my tulip bulbs, so I force Tulips indoors.

When I was a college kid, I tried hard to be dark and brooding. I even went through the black and white photography phase. Mostly because I thought that made me look artistic and hopefully kind of cool.

French Lavender (Lavender stoechas, zone 8) grows fast by seed in a sunny window, with true flowers vs. narrow sprigs.

When I showed off my artsy fartsy photos to my Grandma Anne, she yawned and told me they were not 'snapping her socks.' (i.e. boring) Then she proceeded to educate me on a few more inescapable truths:

Kate, she said, give it up. You're never gonna be cool. The real point of taking pictures is to document the bright spots in a colorful life.

Do all Grandmas smell like lavender? 
I hope so.

These pics are for you, Gram.


All Lavender is edible but most of them don't taste that great. Grow English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) if you plan to cook with it.

PS: You might as well double the batch right now because you know in your heart that you want to...

Lavender Cookies
  • 1.25 cups butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 4 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers, crushed
Cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Mix in the flour and lavender flowers. Spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes @ 350 degrees F.

Forced Tulips and French Lavender spend their days sunning themselves on my deck. 
Both warm their toes, indoors, at night.

Follow Me on Pinterest




7 comments:

Lona said...

What a beautiful container they make Kate. I cannot grow lavender outdoors here it dies out after a year or two. Maybe I need to try a plant indoors. I love the French lavender flowers. Have a lovely week Kate.

Snowcatcher said...

You are so getting me in the groove to try forcing some of my favorites indoors. (Bought a cheater hyacinth at the grocery store, and now that it's almost done, I may just keep it in the basement or garage for next spring.) I have a ton of indoor lavender, but none have bloomed yet. I will be trying this recipe (perhaps with Stevia instead of sugar) as soon as I do get blossoms... Fingers crossed.

Elena said...

Love the photos! And because of your blog, I found now my birthday flower. Thanks.

Janie said...

Your grandmother sounds like a real character and a wise woman, too.

Laurrie said...

Mmmm. Your grandma was wise. And these cookies smell so good in my imagination, and soon will smell so delicious in my kitchen. Definitely making these.

Nelson said...

So excited to try this lavender cookies recipe.

GRACE PETERSON said...

So pretty...not just the flowers but those cookies too. My mouth is watering.